My exciting Saturday morning plans: Clean the house. Do the laundry. Transcribe audio. Clean the bathtub.
What I did instead: watched the live stream of TEDxNYED!
(Shout out to Missy at Melibee Global for letting me know about the event.)
My house is a mess, I have nothing to wear, my audio is not transcribed, and I do not want to use my bathtub.
But who cares. TEDxNYED!!
It was fantastic. The first four talks focused on global education:
There were a bunch more speakers but I couldn’t watch them all. (I just couldn’t let the bathtub go another day without a good scrubbing.) You can check out the other speakers here.
One of the things I loved about the live streaming event is that while I listened to the speakers I was also tweeting, emailing, (largely with Missy at Melibee Global – we’ve got some BIG ideas), blogging, and making a ton of notes.
So I thought I’d share some of the key points of and reactions to the first few talks through tweets:
I tweeted during the first few talks and you can see my tweets here. But I thought you’d enjoy seeing what others said about the talks – maybe you’ll even find someone new to follow on Twitter!
Want to see more? You can read the #TEDxNYED twitter stream here.
I’m still processing everything but there were a few things from the first few talks that struck a chord with me (I’m paraphrasing here):
1. A student’s dilemma: do I do my homework for my teacher or my fan fiction for the world? (Alan November)
2. We can’t solve the world’s problems through competition alone. We must collaborate with people around the world, and our kids need intercultural skills to do that. (Homa Tavangar)
3. Get kids into staff development workshops! (Alan November)
4. A global citizen is a friend to the world. (Homa Tavangar)
5. There’s no excuse not to go global in the classroom. (Lucy Gray)
Did you watch any of the #TEDxNYED talks? Which one(s) inspired you? What stood out to you? What sort of action do you now want to take?
P.S. The talks should be posted on the TEDxNYED website in a few weeks.
Get 3 Reflection Guides!
Get immediate access to 3 of our reflection and action guides for global hearts (free!):
- New Year. Global You!
- The Forward Launch Planner & Journal
- Holiday Reflection Guide
You'll also be the very first to get the details about the Global Heart Collective!